[Python-Dev] PEP 561 implemented and minor clarification

Ivan Levkivskyi levkivskyi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 06:19:15 EDT 2018

On 12 April 2018 at 09:59, Ethan Smith <ethan at ethanhs.me> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've updated PEP 561 to clarify that any installed stub package should
> supersede an installed inline package. In other words if there is:
>
> /global/site-packages/pkg/
> /user/site-packages/pkg-stubs/
>
> Even if pkg in the global site packages is found first and marks that it
> supports types, the stub package should supersede it.
>
> I also point to mypy's docs on its implementation of the PEP (which can be
> read about here: https://mypy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installed_packages.
> html). The implementation has been merged into master and will be
> available in the 0.590 release.

This clarification totally makes sense for me. I could easily imagine a
scenario where are third party provides more advanced/precise/detailed
types for a package that already supports typing. Also thanks for writing
the implementation, hopefully, this PEP will be accepted soon and it will
solve one of the major problems in typing ecosystem.

--
Ivan