[Python-Dev] (name := expression) doesn't fit the narrative of PEP 20

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Wed Apr 25 16:55:37 EDT 2018

> On 25 Apr, 2018, at 1:28 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>
> You don't seem to grasp the usability improvements this will give. I hear you but at this point appeals to Python's "Zen" don't help you.

This reads dismissive to me. I did read the PEP and followed the discussion on
python-dev. I referred to PEP 20 because it distills what's unique about the
value proposition of Python. It's our shared vocabulary.

Can you address the specific criticism I had? To paraphrase it without PEP 20
jargon:

> (name := expression) makes code less uniform.  It inserts more information
> into a place that is already heavily packed with information (logic tests).

-- Ł