[Python-Dev] (name := expression) doesn't fit the narrative of PEP 20

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Apr 26 02:52:30 EDT 2018

Łukasz Langa wrote:
> Ha, not in Python! Here we have *different syntax* for assignments in
> expressions. Well, you can also use it as a statement. But don't!

This is what I least like about the proposal. We should
be moving in the direction of removing warts, but here
we would be *creating* one (two different assignment
operators with overlapping use cases) that we won't be
able to get rid of without a Python 4000 (that Guido has
promised won't happen).

--
Greg