[Python-Dev] (name := expression) doesn't fit the narrative of PEP 20

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Apr 26 21:12:56 EDT 2018

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 08:00:46PM +0100, Zero Piraeus wrote:

> Since it now looks like it really *does* have a decent chance, and
> maybe another -1 has a small chance of tipping the balance: my
> reaction to the proposal is also emotional. Visceral, in fact, to the
> extent that I'd aim to read and write less Python if it became
> commonplace.

Funnily enough, that's what some people said about decorator syntax,
ternary if, type annotations and list comprehensions.

All of them have become great additions to the language.

I hated the idea of aping C and adding += operators and swore I'd never
use them. That lasted, well, about a month.

Just sayin'.

--
Steve