[Python-Dev] (Looking for) A Retrospective on the Move to Python 3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 06:25:24 EDT 2018

On 27 April 2018 at 03:18, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2018, at 09:28, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In pondering our approach to future Python major releases, I found
>>> myself considering the experience we've had with Python 3.  The whole
>>> Py3k effort predates my involvement in the community so I missed a
>>> bunch of context about the motivations, decisions, and challenges.
>>> While I've pieced some of that together over the years now since I've
>>> been around, I've certainly seen much of the aftermath.  For me, at
>>> least, it would be helpful to have a bit more insight into the
>>> history. :)
>
> It would certainly be an interesting document, but I suspect you’ll get a bit of the old “ask 3 lawyers and get 5 opinions” kind of response. ;)

http://python-notes.curiousefficiency.org/en/latest/python3/questions_and_answers.html
covers some of the questions Eric is asking (mostly from my PoV, but
Guido corrected my answer to the initial "Why was Python 3 made
incompatible with Python 2?" question shortly after I posted the first
version of it).

https://www.curiousefficiency.org/posts/2014/08/python-4000.html is a
more retrospective-y article that looks more at the implications for
Python 4.

For the "What actually happened?" info, probably the 3 main documents
to look at would be PEP 3000 (the process doc), PEP 3100 (accepted
changes that didn't get their own PEPs), and PEP 3099 (explicitly
rejected ideas that also didn't get their own PEPs).

Cheers,
Nick.