[Python-Dev] (name := expression) doesn't fit the narrative of PEP 20

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 16:06:23 EDT 2018

On Friday, April 27, 2018, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:18 PM, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > IDK, I could just be resistant to change, but this seems like something
> that
> > will decrease readability -- and slow down code review -- without any
> real
> > performance gain. So, while this would be useful for golfed-down (!)
> > one-liners with pyline,
> > I'm -1 on PEP 572.
>
> PEP 572 has never promised a performance gain, so "without any real
> performance gain" is hardly a criticism.
>
> > How do I step through this simple example with a debugger?
> >
> >     if re.search(pat, text) as match:
> >         print("Found:", match.group(0))
>
> Step the 'if' statement. It will call re.search() and stash the result
> in 'match'. Then the cursor would be put either on the 'print' (if the
> RE matched) or on the next executable line (if it didn't).

Right. Pdb doesn't step through the AST branches of a line, so ternary
expressions and list comprehensions and defining variables at the end of
the line are 'debugged' after they're done.

Similarly, code coverage is line-based; so those expressions may appear to
be covered but are not.

> > From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assignment_(computer_science) :
> >
> >> In some languages the symbol used is regarded as an operator (meaning
> that
> >> the assignment has a value) while others define the assignment as a
> >> statement (meaning that it cannot be used in an expression).
> >

> > PEP 572 -- Assignment Expressions
> > PEP 572 -- Assignment Operator (:=) and Assignment Expressions
>
> Huh? I don't get your point.

Q: What is ':='? (How do I searchengine for it?)