[Python-Dev] (name := expression) doesn't fit the narrative of PEP 20

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 18:21:51 EDT 2018

[Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>]
> FWIW, Ned Batchelder's 'coverage.py' does a good job with branch coverage.
> I haven't seen anything in this discussion which indicates that binding
> expressions will change that at all.

I don't think you missed anything relevant either ;-)  Binding
operators are exactly as irrelevant to control-flow analyzers as,
e.g., introducing a floor division operator (//) was.

Data-flow analyzers (if there are any for Python) are a different
story, since they need to be aware of all (re)binding operations -
although at the byte code level, all such sites remain equally
apparent (no new flavor of "store" operation is added by this PEP).