[Python-Dev] New _Py_InitializeFromConfig() function (PEP 432)

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 11:59:18 EDT 2018

> The "core" config is basically the config for the runtime.  In fact,
> PEP 432 renamed "core" to "runtime".  Please keep the firm distinction
> between the runtime and the (main) interpreter.

There is already something called _PyRuntime but it's shared between
all interpreters.

_PyCoreConfig is already *per* interpreter.

Would you mind to elaborate what you mean by the "main interpreter"? I
don't see anything obvious in the current code about what is a "main
interpreter". Technically, I don't see anything like that.

I'm still not convinced that we need _PyMainInterpreterConfig:
_PyCoreConfig contains the same information. Is it really worth it to
duplicate all _PyCoreConfig (more than 36 fields) in
_PyMainInterpreterConfig? _PyMainInterpreterConfig adds a third copy
of many paramters: another opportunity to introduce an inconsistency.
Right now, an interpreter contains both: core and main
configurations...

I propose to *remove* _PyMainInterpreterConfig and rename
_PyCoreConfig as _PyInterpreterConfig. I would also propose to merge
again Py_Initialize() to have a single step instead of the current
core step + main step: 2 steps.

Victor