[Python-Dev] Can we split PEP 489 (extension module init) ?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat Aug 11 10:47:12 EDT 2018

Petr Viktorin schrieb am 10.08.2018 um 13:48:
> Would this be better than a flag + raising an error on init?

Ok, I've implemented this in Cython for now, to finally move the PEP-489
support forward. The somewhat annoying drawback is that module reloading
previously *seemed* to work, simply because it didn't actually do anything.
Now, people will get an exception in cases that previously worked silently.
An exception would probably have been better from the beginning, because it
clearly tells people that what they are trying is not supported. Now it's a
bit of a breaking change. I'll see what it gives.

Thanks for your feedback on this.

Stefan