[Python-Dev] 3.7.2rc1 and 3.6.8rc1 cutoffs ahead, last 3.6.x bugfix release!

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 04:14:41 EST 2018

04.12.18 10:42, Ned Deily пише:
> A reminder: as previously announced, 3.6.8 is planned to be the last bugfix release of the 3.6 series.  Python 3.6.0 was released on 2016-12-23, so by the time 3.6.8 is released, 3.6.x will have been in bugfix mode almost exactly 2 years.  When a new feature release is made and enters "bugfix" mode, our policy has long been to continue to maintain the previous bugfix branch for at least one more release and then move that branch to "security fix only" mode.  3.7.0 (and 3.6.6) was released nearly six months ago and, with the release of 3.6.8, there will have been two additional 3.6.x bugfix releases since then.  So, barring any showstopper issues that might arise, the upcoming 3.6.8rc1 is your last chance to make bugfix changes for 3.6.x.  Following the successful release of 3.6.8, only sec
>   urity fixes will be accepted for the 3.6 branch and future 3.6.x releases will be source-only and scheduled as needed; no further binary installers will be produced for 3.6.  Refer to the Dev Guide
>   sections and release PEPs linked below for more information.

Can we revise our policy and prolong the bug fixing mode for 3.6? 3.6 is
the default Python in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and RHEL 8. And due to several
important syntax features it can be a minimal required version for long
time.

I merged several PRs before releasing 3.6.8rc1, but there are still less
trivial bugfix PRs which need more time for reviewing, and there are
bugs for which no PR is created yet. There is also a number of
documentation PRs. I propose to allow backporting bugfixes to 3.6 if
they do not need excessive work, but stop to fix 3.6 only bugs. After
migrating to GitHab, backporting became less painful, most of backports
to 3.6 can be done automatically from master or from 3.7.