[Python-Dev] 3.7.2rc1 and 3.6.8rc1 cutoffs ahead, last 3.6.x bugfix release!

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 19 12:01:15 EST 2018

I’m all for extending the life of 3.6, it sure feels recent to me!

> 3.6 is the default Python in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and RHEL 8. And due to several important syntax features it can be a minimal required version for long time.

Which is a good argument for why we may not need longer term support
for 3.5, but minimum requirement doesn’t mean we need to support it
longer term, as the alternative is to upgrade to 3.7 — and most code
that works on 3.6 will work on 3.7, yes?

That is — if you want recent bug fixes, upgrade your Python.

If you have a working 3.6 based system, you only need security fixes, yes?

I fully understand the need to keep a working older system up to date
with security fixes, but I’ve always been confused by the desire to
run an older base system, while still requiring newer subsystems,
whether that’s an older Linux with a newer python, or and older python
with a newer package.

-CHB