[Python-Dev] Why is Python for Windows compiled with MSVC?

Oleg Sivokon olegs at traiana.com
Thu Feb 1 04:19:31 EST 2018

> so why shouldn’t the one with the most users?

Because it makes compilation difficult, and cross-compilatin completely impossible?  Why is it difficult: a package maintainer needs to (1) buy MS Windows (2) create a special workflow for compiling on a different machine.  This is both costly and inconsistent with free-as-in-freedom...  It makes cross-compilation impossible because libraries produced by any tool that can run on all target platforms are incompatible with Python binaries on MS Windows.

Again, many languages (i.e. projects similar in size an purpose to CPython) took a different approach: they use GNU compilers to be able to compile cross-platform.  This is true for Ruby and Go at least.  I would need to investigate further, but I think these two examples should be enough.

> I’m likely biased because I work there and I’m the main intermediary with python-dev, but these days Microsoft is one of the strongest supporters of CPython. We employ the most core developers of any private company and we all are allowed work time to contribute, we provide full access to our development tools and platforms to all core developers and some prominent projects, we’ve made fixes, enhancements and releases or core products such as the CRT, MSVC, Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, and Azure SPECIFICALLY to support CPython development and users. As far as I know, ALL the Windows buildbots are running on Azure subscriptions that Microsoft provides (though managed by some awesome volunteers). You’ll see us at PyCon US under the biggest banner and we’ll have a booth filled with engineers and not recruiters. Crash reports from thousands of opted-in users come into our systems and have directly lead to both CPython and Windows bug fixes.

Oh, so this is the real reason... well, corporate interests are hard to argue against.  But, this is an interesting statistic nevertheless.  Thanks for letting me know.

Best.

Oleg
This communication and all information contained in or attached to it is confidential, intended solely for the addressee, may be legally privileged and is the intellectual property of one of the companies of NEX Group plc ("NEX") or third parties. If you are not the intended addressee or receive this message in error, please immediately delete all copies of it and notify the sender. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachments. We do not accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. NEX reserves the right to monitor all communications. We do not accept any legal responsibility for the content of communications, and no communication shall be considered legally binding. Furthermore, if the content of this communication is personal or unconnected with our business, we accept no liability or responsibility for it. NEX Group plc is a public limited company registered in England and Wales under number 10013770 and certain of its affiliates are authorised and regulated by regulatory authorities. For further regulatory information please see www.NEX.com.