[Python-Dev] Is object the most base type? (bpo-20285)

Martin Panter vadmium+py at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 06:23:13 EST 2018

On 2 February 2018 at 07:25, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> "the base class of the class heirarchy"
>
> "the root of the class heirarchy"

The RST documentation
<https://docs.python.org/release/3.6.4/library/functions.html#object>
says

Object is a base for all classes.

which is better than “the most base type” IMO, although I would write
_the_ base rather than _a_ base; there is only one object class. In my
patch for the RST documentation in
<https://bugs.python.org/issue16508> I proposed

This is the ultimate base class of all other classes.

which I still think is okay (though other parts of my patch doesn’t
seem very good).