[Python-Dev] How is the GitHub workflow working for people?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Feb 21 12:53:10 EST 2018

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 at 09:30 Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW I'm extremely happy with the current workflow. The recent
> improvements to @miss-islington (kudos to Mariatta!) allowing her to
> auto-backport PRs and commit them is a big time saver.
>
> I can only suggest a couple improvements:
>
> 1. Make our bots check the code style—fully enforce PEP 8, lint the
> code, and detect trailing whitespace on all lines that a PR modifies.

Guido said "no" to this from the outset.

> 2. AppVeyor and Travis are a bit slow at times.  Maybe it's possible
> to ask them to slightly increase our quotas (again).  Although usually
> this isn't a problem and CI is fast enough.

We already have a huge amount of quota from Travis and AppVeyor is no
special quota (we're just like any other open source project). Our contact
at Circle CI left the company so that option has walked away.

IOW we either have to find another CI provider who happens to be faster or
we are going to have to build our own.

> 3. It would be great if our buildbots could update the PR at blame
> when they detect a regression (I understand that this is a hard to
> implement feature...)

Possibly. This is starting to dive into Bors/Zuul-level regression
management which is more infrastructure to run, so we would have to decide
we seriously want this maintenance overhead.

-Brett