[Python-Dev] How is the GitHub workflow working for people?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Feb 24 01:45:13 EST 2018

On Feb 21, 2018, at 19:03, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is flake8 that much better than pylint, that pylint wouldn't even be discussed?

I honestly don’t use pylint all that much these days, but when I was evaluating them years ago, I found pylint to be too noisy about not-incorrect code.  I also liked how flake8 has a very nice plugin system, and I use that on my personal projects to enforce a consistent style.  It’s certainly possible that both tools have advanced significantly since I last made my personal decision.

I agree with Guido in general though, that we’d need to do some actual analysis on the stdlib and see what the results are.  I do think that a plugin system, or really good configurability, will help us tailor whatever tool we decide to use, so that it’s only warning about the things we care about and ignoring the rest, without requiring lots of comment pragmas in the code.

Cheers,
-Barry