[Python-Dev] The `for y in [x]` idiom in comprehensions

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 26 19:30:59 EST 2018

On 26/02/2018 19:08, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I would like to remind all wannabe language designers that grammar
> design is not just solving puzzles. It's also about keeping the
> overall feel of the language readable. I'm getting the idea that none
> of the proposals discussed so far (whether new syntax or clever use of
> existing syntax) satisfy that constraint. Sometimes a for-loop is just
> better.

I don't know if you intended these remarks to include my proposal (to
allow "for VAR = EXPR"), as your message was posted only 27 minutes
after mine.
With respect, I honestly feel that this is a relatively small change
that makes the language *more* readable.

Feel free, one and all, to tell me why I'm wrong.
Best wishes,
Rob Cliffe