[Python-Dev] How is the GitHub workflow working for people?

Giampaolo Rodola' g.rodola at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 06:49:55 EST 2018

I personally use a GIT commit hook which runs flake8 against the *modified
py files only* and rejects the commit in case of non-compliance:
https://github.com/giampaolo/psutil/blob/master/.git-pre-commit
...I install it via make:
https://github.com/giampaolo/psutil/blob/ad4acae5489f86fc3bef645505b3873f156b4867/Makefile#L186
...and once the whole code base is in a good shape have Travis run flake8
against the whole code base on each commit.

When I join an existing project I try to enforce the same workflow and rely
on pep8ify (https://github.com/spulec/pep8ify) to adjust the existing code.
In order to not be too "strict" I may modify the GIT hook to emit a warning
instead of rejecting the commit.

On one hand I think it would be great to do the same for cPython. On the
other hand I see 2 big downsides:

- losing "git blame" history for A LOT of lines of code
- even if you're familiar with PEP8 it's sometimes hard to spot
non-compliant lines unless you integrate flake8 into your IDE (I do for
Sublime); putting such a constraint on contributing users is probably too
much and may discourage contributions.

--
Giampaolo - http://grodola.blogspot.com