[Python-Dev] PEP 567 v2

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 11:27:11 EST 2018

On 4 January 2018 at 15:56, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> It was get_context() in an earlier version of PEP 567. We changed it to
> copy_context() believing that that would clarify that you get a clone that
> is unaffected by subsequent ContextVar.set() operations (which affect the
> *current* context rather than the copy you just got).

Ah thanks. In which case, simply changing the emphasis to avoid the
implication that Context objects are immutable (while that may be true
in a technical/implementation sense, it's not really true in a design
sense if ContextVar.set modifies the value of a variable in a context)
is probably sufficient.

> [The discussion is fragmentary because Yury is on vacation until the 15th
> and I am scrambling for time myself. But your long post is saved, and not
> forgotten.]

OK. I knew you were short on time, but hadn't realised Yury was on
vacation too. Sorry if I sounded like I was nagging.
Paul