[Python-Dev] Concerns about method overriding and subclassing with dataclasses

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Fri Jan 5 14:06:38 EST 2018

> Hm. I don't know that people will conclude that checking for a dataclass
> is an anti-pattern. They'll probably just invent a myriad of different
> hacks like the one you showed. I recommend making it public.

I'm trying to track down the original discussion. We got bogged down on
whether it worked for classes or instances or both, then we got tied up
in naming it (surprise!), then it looks like we decided to just not
include it since you could make those decisions for yourself.

I think the discussion is buried in this thread:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2017-November/150966.html

Which references:
https://github.com/ericvsmith/dataclasses/issues/99

So, ignoring the naming issue, I think if we want to revive it, the
question is: should isdataclass() return True on just instances, just
classes, or both? And should it ever raise an exception, or just return
False?

> I still worry a bit about ClassVar and InitVar being potentially useful
> but I concede I have no use case so I'll drop it.

IIRC, we decided that we could add a parameter to dataclasses.fields()
if we ever wanted to return pseudo-fields. But no one came up with a use
case.

Eric.