[Python-Dev] Deprecate PEP 370 Per user site-packages directory?

Alex Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Sat Jan 13 20:27:09 EST 2018

I would suggest throwing this to -ideas, rather than just keeping it in -dev
as there is a much wider community of users and usecases in -ideas.

... and -ideas will shoot it down because user installs are too useful.  It
is also my understanding that it is the desire of PyPA to eventually have
pip default to --user when run outside of a virtualenv (to mitigate people
running sudo pip).  Eliminating user installs would change the situation
from one where, with pip install --user, one can recoverably break their
system to one, with sudo pip install, one can un-recoverably break their
system.