[Python-Dev] Positional-only parameters in Python

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 09:34:59 EST 2018

Hi,

In Februrary 2017, I proposed on python-ideas to change the Python
syntax to allow to declare positional-only parameters in Python:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2017-February/044879.html
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2017-March/044956.html

There are already supported at the C level, but not at the Python level.

Our BDFL approved the idea:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2017-March/044959.html

But I didn't find time to implement it. Does someone want to work on
an implementation of the idea?

March 2, 2017 7:16 PM, "Brett Cannon" <brett at python.org> wrote:
> It seems all the core devs who have commented on this are in the positive
> (Victor, Yury, Ethan, Yury, Guido, Terry, and Steven; MAL didn't explicitly
> vote). So to me that suggests there's enough support to warrant writing a
> PEP. Are you up for writing it, Victor, or is someone else going to write
> it?

It seems like a PEP is needed.

Victor