[Python-Dev] Positional-only parameters in Python

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sat Jan 20 02:17:40 EST 2018

On 01/19/2018 08:47 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> - proposing the full PEP 547, including the "argument groups" feature
> (which is a bigger change, but allows the expression of signatures
> like "range([start,] stop, [step,] /)")

I hope we don't go down that route.

I added support for "argument groups" to Argument Clinic in an attempt
to support legacy functions with crazy argument signatures that count
their arguments.  (For example, curses.window.overlay() takes either one
or seven arguments exactly--not two!, and not six!.)  I have deeply
mixed feelings about the result, and I would hate to see support for it
added to the language.  If I had my way I'd rewrite or replace those
functions and have only modern Pythonic signatures in the standard library.

//arry/