[Python-Dev] Intention to accept PEP 567 (Context Variables)

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 12:56:48 EST 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 2:23 AM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The PEP 555 looks a competitor PEP of the PEP 567. Since the Yury's
> PEP 567 was approved, I understand that Koos's PEP 555 should be
> rejected, no?

If Guido prefers to reject it​, I assume he'll say so. Anyway, it's still
waiting for me to add references to earlier discussions and perhaps
summaries of some discussions.

Personally, I need to find some time to properly catch up with the latest
discussion to figure out why PEP 567 is better than PEP 555 (or similar
with .set(..), or PEP 550), despite problems of reasoning about the scopes
of variables and unset tokens.

In any case, congrats, Yury! This hasn't been an easy one for any of us,
and it seems like the implementation required quite a beastly patch too in
the end.

—Koos
​​