[Python-Dev] GH-NNNN vs #NNNN in merge commit

Berker Peksağ berker.peksag at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 13:31:21 EST 2018

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 9:03 PM, Mariatta Wijaya
<mariatta.wijaya at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Of course, we would still need to convince people to install it :)
>

> Right, that's the challenge :)
> I personally use Chrome (!) and I've been using your Chrome extension, so
> thank you!
> However, I don't feel comfortable making this available only for a specific
> browser user, feels exclusionary to me.

Thanks to Milan Oberkirch, the version in the master branch uses
WebExtension API so it should be easy make it run on Firefox (I don't
know if it works on other browsers though)

> Also, sometimes I merge from my phone where there's no chrome extension,
> (maybe I really shouldn't be doing that?).
>
> I think the solution should be something not webbrowser specific.
>
> One idea is maybe have a bot to do the squash commit, for example by
> commenting on GitHub:
> @merge-bot merge <commit title> <commit message>
>
> So core devs can do the above instead of pressing the commit button. Any
> thoughts on this?

That would be best solution (I think it would solve
https://github.com/python/miss-islington/issues/16 too) but it's more
complicated than the extension idea :) I have some time work on it if
you'd like to implement the mergebot idea.

--Berker