[Python-Dev] Guido's Python 1.0.0 Announcement from 27 Jan 1994
senthil at uthcode.com
Sat Jan 27 11:58:54 EST 2018
Someone in HackerNews shared the Guido's Python 1.0.0 announcement from 27
Jan 1994. That is, on this day, 20 years ago.
It is very entertaining to read.
* Guido was the release manager, which is now taken up by other core-dev
* Announcement highlighted *readable* syntax.
* The announcement takes a dig at Perl and Bash. While Bourne shell is
still very relevant and might continue for a long time, we recognize the
difference is use cases for Bash and Python.
* Documentation was LaTeX and PostScript.
* Error-free builds on SGI IRIX 4 and 5, Sun SunOS 4 and Solaris 2, HP-UX,
DEC Ultrix and OSF/1, IBM AIX, and SCO ODT 3.0. :-) We no longer have them.
* You used WWW viewer to view the documentation and got the files via FTP.
Fun times! Cheers to Guido and everyone contributing to Python.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Python-Dev