[Python-Dev] Failing tests (on a Linux distro)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 2 10:14:23 EDT 2018

On 7/2/2018 3:38 AM, Petr Viktorin wrote:

> And while I'm responding here, a bit of reflection and a heads-up:
> What Fedora as a distro should do better next time is re-build the
> entire ecosystem with a new Python version. For 3.7 we started doing
> that too late, and there are way too many projects that weren't prepared
> for `async` as keyword and PEP 479 (StopIteration handling).

With the 'next version' now being branched off of master at beta 1
rather than at the first release candidate, 'next time' starts about 4
months sooner than it used to.  Doing full builds for 3.8 can start any
time.  It has already had about 5 months of exclusive patches.

This suggests that known changes from pending to deprecation to
exception should be done soon after the version branching.  I don't know
if there are any such still needed for 3.8.

--
Terry Jan Reedy