[Python-Dev] Informal educator feedback on PEP 572 (was Re: 2018 Python Language Summit coverage, last part)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Jul 3 19:13:20 EDT 2018

Terry Reedy wrote:
> If we had followed the math precedent, instead of <other computer
> language>, we would have set builders, list builders, dict builders, and
> generator builders.

I was intending to suggest something like that back when
comprehensions were first being discussed, but people
raced ahead and adopted the term "comprehension" before
I got the chance.

"List builder" and "dict builder" make a lot of sense,
but "generator builder" not so much -- it *is* a generator,
not something that builds a generator. In fact it doesn't
build anything in the sense that the others do. So maybe
"generator expression" is the best we could have done.

--
Greg