[Python-Dev] Failing tests (on a Linux distro)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 08:05:01 EDT 2018

On 4 July 2018 at 22:00, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 July 2018 at 17:38, Petr Viktorin <encukou at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyway, the SUSE tests seem  to fail on .pyc files. The main change in that
>> area was [PEP 552], try starting there. AFAIK, SUSE is ahead of Fedora in
>> the reproducible builds area; perhaps that's where the difference is.
>
> In particular, if a build system sets SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH without
> specifying a pyc format for py_compile or compileall, Python 3.7 will
> give you checked hashes by default:
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/py_compile.html?highlight=source_date_epoch#py_compile.compile

Running the following locally fails for me:

    $ SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH=`date` ./python -m test test_py_compile test_compileall

So my guess would be that this is a test suite error where we're not
handling the "running in a reproducible build environment with
SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH already set" case.

Cheers,
Nick.