[Python-Dev] Examples for PEP 572

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Wed Jul 4 10:20:35 EDT 2018

Hmmm... I admit I didn't expect quite this behavior. I'm don't actually
understand why it's doing what it does.

>>> def myfun():
...    print(globals().update({'foo', 43}), foo)
>>> myfun()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<stdin>", line 2, in myfun
TypeError: cannot convert dictionary update sequence element #0 to a
sequence

That said, this is a silly game either way.  And even though you CAN
(sometimes) bind in an expression pre-572, that's one of those perverse
corners that one shouldn't actually use.