[Python-Dev] "as" postfix notation highlights

Ivan Pozdeev vano at mail.mipt.ru
Wed Jul 4 20:32:03 EDT 2018

On 04.07.2018 10:10, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> I think the most striking evidence for this is that during the
> discussion of PEP 572 we discovered that literally none of us –
> including Guido – even *know* what the order-of-evaluation is inside
> expressions.
If has stricken me that this is a highlight for the "as" syntax right here!

* Since it's a postfix, it preserves the forward reading order and is
thus more fitting for inline syntax:

     while inv == (make_step(state, inv) as new_inv) and
is_valid(new_inv): inv = new_inv

Makes it clear that in the first two cases, the old value of `inv' is
used, and only after that, it's reassigned.

The prefix syntax of an assignment is instead read "from `=' on, then
return to the start". This is okay for a standalone construct, but if
embedded, the reading order becomes nontrivial:

     while inv == (new_inv := make_step(state, inv)) and
is_valid(new_inv): inv = new_inv

* In the light of "Don't assign to a variable used later in the
expression" , "as" looks completely different from assignment, which
will deter folks from trying to do the problematic augmented assignments
and demand expression syntax for them.

--
Regards,
Ivan