[Python-Dev] Comparing PEP 576 and PEP 580

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Thu Jul 5 05:31:02 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-05 05:41, INADA Naoki wrote:
> And stabilizing calling convention is prerequirements of designing new
> calling APIs.

I don't see why. I made my PEP with the assumption that the
METH_FASTCALL calling convention won't change. As far as I know, nobody
advocated for changing it. But even if we decide to change
METH_FASTCALL, I could trivially adapt my PEP.

> That's why I suggest discussing METH_FASTCALL first.

I certainly agree that it's a good idea to discuss METH_FASTCALL, but I
still don't see why that should block the discussion of PEP 576/580.

I can understand that you want to wait to *implement* PEP 576/580 as
long as METH_FASTCALL isn't public. But we should not wait to *discuss*
those PEPs.

Jeroen.