[Python-Dev] Assignment expression and coding style: the while True case

Ivan Pozdeev vano at mail.mipt.ru
Thu Jul 5 07:22:46 EDT 2018

On 05.07.2018 9:47, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 12:51:37AM +0200, Victor Stinner wrote:
>
>> I propose to start the discussion about "coding style" (where are
>> assignment expressions appropriate or not?) with the "while True"
>> case.
> We don't even have an official implementation yet, and you already want
> to start prescribing coding style? We probably have months before 3.8
> alpha comes out.

This is an excellent way to look at the picture with a user's eyes. You
immediately see what parts of the design lend themselves well to
practice and what don't, which details are unclear, which additional
features are missing (note how he revealed the lack of tuple unpacking)
-- by all means, something to do at the design stage, before doing the
implementation.

It's also a testimony of how much an improvement a feature will _really_
be -- something that contrived examples can't tell.

I salute Victor for such an enlightemed idea and going for the trouble
to carry it out!

--
Regards,
Ivan