[Python-Dev] PEP 572: Do we really need a ":" in ":="?

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 23:33:32 EDT 2018

[Tim]

>  It doesn't even exist yet, but Googling on

>     python operator :=
>
> already returns a directly relevant hit on the first page for me:
>

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26000198/what-does-colon-equal-in-python-mean

[Guido, who later apologized for unclear quoting, hilariously trying to pin
the blame on GMail ;-)]

Since they moved to the "new" GMail, quoting selected pieces in replies has
become a nightmare for me too.  I don't understand the options, and it
seems there's no option at all to do "just plain text, please - nothing
fancy" anymore :-(

Since this thread is dead and everybody is just posting to get the last
> word,

You're such a cynic.  We're competing to get the _first_ word on something
destined to convince you that PEP 572 can be vastly improved via a
one-character change ;-)

> I can report that for me, Googling for "Python :=" gives PEP 572 as the
> first non-ad hit. Also among the top hits are section 6 (Expressions) and
> section 7 (Simple statements) of the Python 3.7.0 docs.

And I get essentially the same Google results too when I leave out
"operator" from my original

To verify the obvious guess, Googling on just plain

    :=

does indeed return hits supremely relevant to the colon-equal "symbol"
regardless of context.

 Seems there is at least one thing that Google still does right. :-)

I'm sure it will be improved out of existence soon enough ;-)