[Python-Dev] Removal of install_misc command from distutils

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Fri Jul 6 17:57:37 EDT 2018

Hello,

I am not sure of what you propose. Do you want to get the feature back in
Python 3.7.1? If yes, should it start to emit a deprection warning?

Did you manage to workaround the removal? If yes, maybe we can add more doc
to the Porting section of What's New in Python 3.7?

Victor

Le jeudi 5 juillet 2018, Alexander Belopolsky <
alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> a écrit :
> I started porting my project [1] to Python 3.7 and came across bpo-29218:
>
> "The unused distutils install_misc command has been removed."  [2]
>
> Historically, the distutils package was very conservative about changes
because many 3rd party packages extended it in ways unforeseen by the
Python core developers.  As far as I can tell, this removal was done
without a deprecation period or any public discussion.

> The comment above the command class [3] was there for 18 years and
promised to "keep it around for the time being."  Why did it suddenly
become necessary to remove it in 3.7?  Is shedding 20 lines of code really
worth the risk of breaking user code?

https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/aae45f93e7b7708deb1ce9d69b58fa029106613d