[Python-Dev] PEP 572: Assignment Expressions -- intention to accept, near-final draft

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 11:20:19 EDT 2018

On 10 July 2018 at 11:00, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> A lot has been said about PEP 572. I am planning to accept it soon,
> hopefully within a week. I realize I should have posted the draft from May
> 22 (when Tim and I were added as authors and it was significantly updated --
> see https://github.com/python/peps/pull/654). For this I apologize. Since
> then we've been diligently updating various details, tightening the spec
> without really changing the intended design.

Thanks for the updates, especially the new Appendix B that walks
through the comprehension scoping cases with worked examples.

I've submitted a couple of minor PRs, but this version of the PEP
looks solid to me, and makes the case for change well (I'm still only
a +0 personally, but I can also see myself some day saying "Yeah, that
turned out to be worth it in the long run")

Cheers,
Nick.