[Python-Dev] why is not 64-bit installer the default download link for Windows?

Ivan Pozdeev vano at mail.mipt.ru
Tue Jul 10 22:14:34 EDT 2018

On 11.07.2018 1:41, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> The difficulty is that they *definitely* can use the 32-bit version, and
>> those few who are on older machines or older installs of Windows may not
>> understand why the link we provide didn't work for them.
> Let's say that only 10% of users still use 32-bit version. If they
> download a default 64-bit binary, I'm quite sure that running the
> binary will emit an error no? Such users should be used to such error,
> and be able to get the 64-bit version, no?

Attached the image of what happens. The message is:

"One or more issues caused the setup to fail. Please fix the issues and
the retry setup. For more information see the log file <hypelink>.

0x80070661 - This installation package is not supported by this
processor type. Contact your product vendor."

Pretty descriptive in my book.