[Python-Dev] Micro-benchmarks for PEP 580

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Wed Jul 11 15:54:52 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-11 10:50, Victor Stinner wrote:
> As you wrote, the
> cost of function costs is unlikely the bottleneck of application.

With that idea, METH_FASTCALL is not needed either. I still find it very
strange that nobody seems to question all the crazy existing
optimizations for function calls in CPython, yet claiming at the same
time that those are just stupid micro-optimizations which are surely not
important for real applications.

Anyway, I'm thinking about real-life benchmarks but that's quite hard.
One issue is that PEP 580 by itself does not make existing faster, but
allows faster code to be written in the future. A second issue is that
Cython (my main application) already contains optimizations for
Cython-to-Cython calls. So, to see the actual impact of PEP 580, I
should disable those.

Jeroen.