[Python-Dev] Can I make marshal.dumps() slower but stabler?

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 01:43:02 EDT 2018

I'm working on making pyc stable, via stablizing marshal.dumps()
https://bugs.python.org/issue34093

Sadly, it makes marshal.dumps() 40% slower.
Luckily, this overhead is small (only 4%) for dumps(compile(source)) case.

So my question is:  May I remove unstable but faster code?

Or should I make this optional and we maintain two complex code?
If so, should this option enabled by default or not?

For example, xmlrpc uses marshal.  But xmlrpc has significant overhead
other than marshaling, like dumps(compile(source)) case.  So I expect
marshal.dumps() performance is not critical for it too.

Is there any real application which marshal.dumps() performance is critical?

--
INADA Naoki  <songofacandy at gmail.com>