[Python-Dev] PEP 572: Do we really need a ":" in ":="?

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 11:41:57 EDT 2018

> sorry for reviving the dead but community acceptance, a fundamental pep
> principle has not been respected for 572
>
> also 29 core devs dislike vs 3 like

You are referring to a *poll* that I ran in May. I don't see any
community issue, the PEP process was always the same: Guido van Rossum
takes the final decision. IMHO since the poll has be done, some core
devs changed their mind, *as the PEP evolved* in the meanwhile. For
example, I'm more on the +1 side now (I was on the strong -1 side when
I ran the poll).

Anyway, it no longer matters since the PEP has been approved. It's now
time to celebrate!

> maybe there are special cases where the BDFL can pin issues

D in BDFL stands for Dictator. Guido has super power :-) I'm fine with that.

Victor