[Python-Dev] Benchmarks why we need PEP 576/579/580

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Sat Jul 21 14:16:06 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-21 19:55, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I don’t think we can safely assume Python 3.7 has the same performance,
> actually. A lot has changed.

I'm not denying that some things have changed. Rather, I claim that
those changes wouldn't invalidate the benchmarks.

I am comparing calls through tp_call (A) versus optimized call paths
(B). I only need to assume that the speed improvements to (A) between
2.7 and 3.7 are not bigger than the speed improvements to (B).

Most optimizations which have been done in Python 3.x target (B). In
fact, I'm not aware of any optimization to (A) apart from maybe some
minor code improvements. So I think it's a relatively safe assumption
that the speed difference between (A) and (B) did not decrease from 2.7
to 3.7.

Jeroen.