[Python-Dev] Benchmarks why we need PEP 576/579/580

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Jul 22 08:52:52 EDT 2018

Guido van Rossum schrieb am 22.07.2018 um 01:14:
> The cost would be if we were to end up maintaining all that code and it
> wouldn’t make much difference.

Well, this is exactly my point. Someone has to maintain the *existing* code
base and help newcomers to get into it and understand it. This is not easy.
The proposed implementation *already* makes a difference. And it does not
even degrade the performance while doing that, isn't that great?

To make this clear – right now, there is someone who stands up and
volunteers to invest the work to clean up the current implementation. He
has already designed, and even implemented, a protocol that applies to all
types of callables in the same way *and* that is extensible for current and
future needs and optimisations. I think this is way more than anyone could
ask for, and it would be very sad if this chance was wasted, and we would
have to remain with the current implementation.

Stefan