[Python-Dev] Finding Guido's replacement

Ivan Pozdeev vano at mail.mipt.ru
Sun Jul 22 20:41:58 EDT 2018

Whatever you decide, please research existing practices and their
results so as not to repeat the same mistakes as others made before you.
In particular, http://meatballwiki.org/wiki/BenevolentDictator and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-pattern .
It would be a waste if Python falls victim to the same trapping as
thousands before it.

On 22.07.2018 23:12, Chris Angelico wrote:
> Guido's term as Benevolent Dictator For Life has been a long one, but
> in the wake of his resignation, we have an opportunity to correct some
> fundamental flaws in the system. Among them:
>
> * Guido lacks patience, as evidenced by the brevity of his acceptance
> posts. See https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2017-December/151038.html
> and https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2011-November/114545.html
> and particularly
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2016-May/144646.html
> where Guido specifically cites his own lack of patience.
>
> * Lately, all Guido's actions have been to benefit his employer, not
> the Common Pythonista. We have proof of this from reliable reporting
> sources such as Twitter and social media.
>
> * Finally, "For Life" is far too long. We need to change our rulers
> periodically.
>
> I propose a new way to appoint a project head. All candidates shall be
> flown to an island owned by the Python Secret Underground (which
> emphatically does NOT exist, but an island that would be owned by it
> if it did), whereupon they parachute down, search for guns, and
> proceed to fight each other until only one is left alive. The survivor
> shall be treated to a chicken dinner and proclaimed Patient,
> Understanding, Benevolent Governor, a title which shall be retained
> for one fortnight, after which we repeat the exercise.
>
> If this plan meets with broad approval, I shall write up PEP 3401, in
> honour of the prior art in PEP 401.
>
> ChrisA

Regards,
Ivan