[Python-Dev] PEP 576/579/580 benchmark: mistune

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Fri Jul 27 09:35:14 EDT 2018

Hello all,

since my latest benchmark for PEP 580 [1] involved SageMath, which is
quite a big project, I instead propose a much simpler benchmark
involving mistune.

mistune [2] is a Markdown parser implemented in the Python language. It
optionally allows Cython compilation. It doesn't use any kind of
optimization beyond that, but I created a branch [3] to use extension
types instead of Python classes.

Cython can either use built-in functions/methods or a custom class
(which is not optimized but which would be optimized with PEP 580).

I benchmarked mistune with custom classes [3] (binding=True, the
default) and with built-in functions/methods [4] (binding=False). This
is the median time of 5 runs:

Binding=True: 9.063s
Binding=False: 8.658s

So this shows again that PEP 580 improves performance in actual
real-world use cases.

Jeroen.

[1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2018-July/154740.html
[2] https://github.com/lepture/mistune