[Python-Dev] Testing C API

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 02:46:23 EDT 2018

> On Jul 29, 2018, at 4:53 AM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The benefit is that it will be easier to run all C API tests at once, and only them, and it will be clearer what C API is covered by tests. The disadvantage is that you will need to run several files for testing marshal for example.
>
> What are your thoughts?

I prefer the current organization that keeps the various tests together with the category being tested.  I almost never need to run the C API tests all at once, but I do need to see all the tests for an object in one place.  When maintaining something like marshal, it would be easy to miss some of the tests if they are in a separate file.  IMO, the proposed change would hinder future maintenance and fly in the face of our traditional code organization.

Raymond