[Python-Dev] [PEP 576/580] Comparing PEP 576 and 580

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Tue Jul 31 04:46:39 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-31 09:36, INADA Naoki wrote:
> I want to see PoC of direct C calling.

To be honest, there is no implementation plan for this yet. I know that
several people want this feature, so it makes sense to think about it.

For me personally, the main open problem is how to deal with arguments
which may be passed both as Python object or as native C type. For
example, when doing a function call like f(1,2,3), it may happen that
the first argument is really a Python object (so it should be passed as
Python int) but that the other two arguments are C integers.

> And I think PoC can be implemented without waiting PEP 580.

For one particular class (say CyFunction), yes. But this feature would
be particularly useful for calling between different kinds of C code,
for example between Numba and CPython built-ins, or between Pythran and
Cython, ...

That is why I think it should be implemented as an extension of PEP 580.

Anyway, this is a different subject that we should not mix in the
discussion about PEP 580 (that is also why I am replying to this
specific point separately).

Jeroen.