[Python-Dev] Stable ABI

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Jun 4 03:17:24 EDT 2018

> On 4 Jun 2018, at 08:35, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> On 3 Jun 2018, at 17:04, Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com <mailto:eric at trueblade.com>> wrote:

>>> What do you mean?
>>> My script does that with all "tp_*" type fields.
>>> What else would you want to check?
>>
>> I think Ronald is saying we're trying to answer a few questions:
>>
>> 1. Did we accidentally drop anything from the stable ABI?
>>
>> 2. Did we add anything to the stable ABI that we didn't mean to?
>>
>> 3. (and one of mine): Does the stable ABI already contain things that we don't expect it to?
>
> That’s correct.  There have been instances of the second item over the year, and not all of them have been caught before releases.  What doesn’t help for all of these is that the stable ABI documentation says that every documented symbol is part of the stable ABI unless there’s explicit documentation to the contrary. This makes researching if functions are intended to be part of the stable ABI harder.
>
> And also:
>
> 4. Does the stable ABI actually work?
>
> Christian’s script finds cases where exposed names don’t actually work when you try to use them.

To reply to myself, the gist below is a very crude version of what I was trying to suggest:

https://gist.github.com/ronaldoussoren/fe4f80351a7ee72c245025df7b2ef1ed#file-gistfile1-txt <https://gist.github.com/ronaldoussoren/fe4f80351a7ee72c245025df7b2ef1ed#file-gistfile1-txt>

The gist is far from usable, but shows some tests that check that symbols in the stable ABI can be used, and tests that everything exported in the stable ABI is actually tested.

Again, the code in the gist is a crude hack and I have currently no plans to turn this into something that could be added to the testsuite.

Ronald