[Python-Dev] Microsoft to acquire GitHub for $7.5 billion

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 4 19:38:31 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 04, 2018 at 07:25:49PM +0200, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> On 2018-06-04, 16:06 GMT, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I don't see how this *increases* the uncertainty. Surely if
> > GitHub had remained independent there would have been be
> > similar concerns about how it would make enough money to stay
> > in business.
>
> Beacuse Microsoft is known to keep a money loosing venture
> around forever?

No, but Guido is right: neither is anyone else.

In that regard, Microsoft is probably *more* likely to keep pumping
money into a failing business if it gives them a strategic advantage,
compared to other investors with no long-term strategy other than "get
aquired by Google/Microsoft/Oracle/Apple".

But on the other hand, Microsoft (or at least the bad old Microsoft of
Bill Gates' days) has a long history of "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish"
as policy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

(Not that Microsoft is the only big tech company that does/did this.)

Anyway, this is just all speculation at this point. In the short term,
nothing changes, and it is too early to tell how it changes the long
term.

--
Steve