[Python-Dev] PEP 575 (Unifying function/method classes) update

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Sun Jun 17 05:00:10 EDT 2018

Hello,

I have been working on a slightly different PEP to use a new type slot
tp_ccalloffset instead the base_function base class. You can see the
work in progress here:

https://github.com/jdemeyer/PEP-ccall

By creating a new protocol that each class can implement, there is a
full decoupling between the features of a class and between the class
hierarchy (such coupling was complained about during the PEP 575
discussion). So I got convinced that this is a better approach.

It also has the advantage that changes can be made more gradually: this
PEP changes nothing at all on the Python side, it only changes the
CPython implementation. I still think that it would be a good idea to
refactor the class hierarchy, but that's now an independent issue.

Another advantage is that it's more general and easier for existing
classes to use the protocol (PEP 575 on the other hand requires
subclassing from base_function which may not be compatible with an
existing class hierarchy).

Jeroen.