[Python-Dev] Can we make METH_FASTCALL public, from Python 3.7? (ref: PEP 579

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 12:48:23 EDT 2018

2018年6月21日(木) 1:17 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 18:09:00 +0200
> Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > If we can't at Python 3.7, I think we should do it at 3.8.
> >
> > What's the rationale to make it public in 3.7? Can't it wait for 3.8?
> > The new PEPs target 3.8 anyway, no?
> >
> > IMHO it's too late for 3.7.
>
> Agreed with Victor.  Also Jeroen's work might lead us to change the
> protocol for better flexibility or performance.

Unless libraries are written with METH_FASTCALL (or using Cython), tp_ccall
can't have any gain for 3rd party functions written in C.

In other words, if many libraries start supporting FASTCALL, tp_ccall will
have more gain at the time when Python 3.8 is released.

  Let's not make it a
> public API too early.

Ok.

Even though it's private at 3.7, extension authors can start using it at
their risk if we decide METH_FASTCALL is public in 3.8 without any change
from 3.7.