[Python-Dev] Intent to accept PEP 561 -- Distributing and Packaging Type Information

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jun 20 17:06:16 EDT 2018

I have reviewed PEP 561 and I intend to accept it some time next week,
unless significant discussion happens between now and then.

The latest version of the PEP can be found at
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0561/

PEP 561 solves a big problem for users of static type checkers like mypy
and Pyre (as well as pytype and PyCharm): how to scale the creation of
stubs (files with just type annotations, with a .pyi extension). IMO Ethan
Smith has done a great job both coming up with and revising the design, and
crafting an implementation -- most of PEP 561 is already supported by mypy.

It's been a while since a copy of the PEP was posted to python-dev (
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2018-April/152694.html), but
only a few things changed since then, so I'll just link to the change
history: https://github.com/python/peps/commits/master/pep-0561.rst.

Only the last two commits are new since the last posting: support for
partial packages and a bunch of small textual tweaks I found today while
reviewing. There wasn't a lot of feedback then so I don't expect a flamewar
today, but better late than never. ;-)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)